This page collects items related to the Obama de facto DREAM Act (announced June 15, 2012), and its evaluation by Open Borders bloggers and other pro-open borders people. The announcement, made by then United States President Barack Obama, basically said that for certain classes of illegal immigrants currently in the United States, he would instruct Department of Homeland Security officials not to deport them, and they would be eligible for two-year work permits. The unofficial name “de facto DREAM act” is because this policy resembles the policies sought for in the DREAM Act, a proposed legislation made a few years ago that did not pass Congress. Another unofficial name for the Obama de facto DREAM Act is the “Obama administrative semi-amnesty” or, in short, “Obama semi-amnesty.” Later, the name “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” (DACA) was given to a proposed legislation that would ratify this policy.
News items and resources on the event
- Obama makes big change on immigration policy that prints a memo released by the Department of Homeland Security about Obama’s new policy.
- Resource page on the policy by the Immigration Policy Center.
Reactions on the Open Borders blog and by other pro-open borders bloggers and writers
NOTE: Unless otherwise indicated, the blog post was published on the Open Borders blog. To view only the blog posts published on the Open Borders blog, see blog posts tagged Obama de facto DREAM Act.
- Obama Administration Adopts De Facto Dream Act by Alex Nowrasteh, June 15, 2012 (originally published in Cato at Liberty, the Cato Institute blog).
- Is Obama’s Semi-Amnesty for Real? by Bryan Caplan, June 16, 2012, for EconLog.
- Obama Promises a Reprieve for DREAMers by Nathan Smith, June 16, 2012.
- Nullification or Nothing by Bryan Caplan, June 17, 2012, for EconLog.
- Obama’s Tepid and Temporary Immigration Reform by Alex Nowrasteh, June 18, 2012 (originally published in The Huffington Post).
- News and Commentary on Obama’s Immigration Move by Nathan Smith, June 18, 2012.
- Lest We Forget by Steven Landsburg, June 18, 2012, on his personal blog The Big Questions.
- Is There a Downside to Presidential Nullification? by Nathan Smith, June 19, 2012.
- In Praise of Obama’s New Immigration Policy by Ilya Somin, June 20, 2012, for the Volokh Conspiracy blog.
- Ruben Navarrette’s Take by Nathan Smith, June 20, 2012.
- Charles Krauthammer’s Take by Nathan Smith, June 22, 2012.
- A Disagreement with Collectivist Anti-business Conservatives by Scott Lazarowitz, June 27, 2012, for LewRockwell.com.
- Still Dreaming by Alex McHugh, June 27, 2012, for the Students for Liberty blog.
- A Face for the Faceless by Nathan Smith, July 10, 2012, for The American.
- Undocumented No Longer by Nathan Smith, August 21, 2012.