Define American (website, Wikipedia page) is a website and movement in the United States started by Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and also an illegal immigrant from Phillippines to the United States (read more about Vargas’ life story). Define American was started in June 2011 by Vargas following his “coming out” as an illegal immigrant in a New York Times Magazine article. It has been prominent in pushing for legislation in the United States that would implement provisions of the DREAM Act. Vargas himself has toured and lectured across the United States asking questions about what makes an American an American and whether people who are illegally brought across the border when young deserve to be recognized as bona fide Americans.
Apart from Vargas, other prominent celebrities have contributed to Define American. These include Stephen T. Colbert, the host of a comedic talk show for Comedy Central.
Blog posts and articles about Vargas and Define American on Open Borders or by pro-open borders writers
- Define Courage: The Jose Antonio Vargas Story by Bryan Caplan for EconLog, June 23, 2011, just after Vargas outed himself as an illegal immigrant.
- Vargas and Understatement by Bryan Caplan for EconLog, June 23, 2011.
- My Thoughts on Jose Antonio Vargas and Define American by Vipul Naik for the Open Borders blog (May 10, 2012).
- Why Jose Antonio Vargas Matters: Making Human Rights Real by Nathan Smith for the Open Borders blog (May 17, 2012).
- A Face for the Faceless by Nathan Smith for The American (July 10, 2012).
- Undocumented No Longer by Nathan Smith for the Open Borders blog (August 21, 2012).
Responses on restrictionist websites
Here are some responses from VDARE (full search results page):
- Jose Antonio Vargas And The Insane Folly Of the “Undocumented Immigrant” by Michelle Malkin on June 23, 2011 for VDARE.
- Vargas AND Illegal–What’s in The Daily News Vs. What’s In The New York Times by James Fulford on June 22, 2011 for VDARE.
Here are some responses from CIS (full search results page):
- We Are Americans, Just Not Legally? by Dominique Peridans on July 16, 2012 for CIS.